Prepare for your First Yoga Tour in India
By Eduardo Garcia |
Learn about the most popular types of yoga, choose one of the yoga masters’ favorite destinations and travel to India to enjoy your first yoga and meditation retreat.
We know. As soon as someone mentions India, the first thing that comes to mind is the Taj Mahal. It’s truly beautiful. Perhaps your second thought goes to delicious dishes such as curry. Or else, if you’re curious about other religions, you might wonder about how you should behave when you visit a Hindu temple. And yes, we’ve talked about all of this in previous articles, but today we want you to think about another option, which apart from giving you the chance to travel guarantees your spiritual and physical well-being. DINKtravelers, you world travel guide, invites you to plan your first yoga tour in India
What do you need to travel to India?
The first you need before traveling to India is to have your passport and flight ready. Airplane tickets cost between 1,000 and 2,500 USD, depending on the airline you like and your preferred seating. Check if your city has direct flights to India and if you need a visa to any other countries you visit if you have a connecting flight. For example, New York, San Francisco and Chicago offer direct flights, but if you travel from Mexico, you’ll need a visa to the US.
On the other hand, remember that you need a special visa to travel to India. You can get it in a very simple way by clicking here.
Vaccines you need to get before traveling to India
First of all, talk to your doctor. Now, since the idea of traveling to this country is to take a tour and enjoying the most, travelers usually get vaccinated against yellow fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, tetanus, diphtheria and the MMR vaccine. But don’t be alarmed; it’s just a precaution.
Yoga Retreats in India
Yoga retreats are usually hosted by a yoga master, but this is only the beginning if you want to practice yoga independently. Yoga lessons usually take one to 1.5 hours. Also, depending on the type of yoga you practice, you might need additional resources including music, images, mats and scents.
Knowing what type of yoga is best for you is difficult because there are many options available. However, you should know that they are all based on the 5 paths, so they all have certain similar basic principles.
The 5 most popular paths of yoga
Most yoga styles are based on these principles:
- Karma Yoga: It’s unselfish yoga. It promotes doing things without expecting to get anything in return.
- Bhakti Yoga: It’s the yoga of pure, honest and true love for everything and everything around you, including yourself.
- Jnana Yoga: It’s the yoga of knowledge, of cultivating yourself, knowing and growing.
- Raja Yoga: It’s the yoga of introspection, acceptance and self-love. Knowing yourself in every aspect, physical and spiritual, will help you understand who you are.
- Hatha Yoga: It’s the most widely practiced yoga and it focuses mainly on your relationship with your body and a direct connection to your inner being.
All the most modern types of yoga are based on these 5 main paths, so choose the one that adapts the most to your lifestyle.
The 9 most popular types of Yoga
- Kundalini Yoga: Its purpose is to awaken the energy of Kundalini, which lies on the base of your spine and reaches up to the top chakra. It focuses on physical and hand postures, breathing and mantras.
- Nidra Yoga: It’s known as the yoga of sleep. It helps you have a conscious free and real sleep and it helps you concentrate in your day-to-day activities.
- Vinyasa Yoga: It’s based on fluid motions that are performed in connection to your breathing and posture sequences.
- Therapeutic Yoga: It focuses on healing a certain trauma or injury by promoting a real healing as well as the achievement of strength and stability.
- Bikram Yoga: It’s performed in a room at 40oC during 90-minute sessions and it seeks to achieve muscular relaxation, the reduction of toxins and the relaxation of the mind.
- Aero Yoga: It uses long fabrics that you use to perform movements off the floor while repeating mantras. It balances your mind, body and spirit.
- Yin Yoga: It’s a type of yoga that forces to hold a certain posture for 3 to 5 minutes while you work on your breathing and on muscular relaxation.
- Couples Yoga: It’s recommended to connect with another person. It’s not necessary for couples, any other person you want to connect it will do.
- Power Yoga: It’s also known as dynamic yoga and it focuses on generating energy for the body to remain active. It increases self-esteem and the control of your body in more active conditions.
The top 3 yoga retreats in India
- If you are a beginning and you want to try your first experience with yoga we recommend a 4-day yoga and meditation tour in Goa. It includes 3 full days of yoga lessons and guided meditations, healthy snacks including fruits, juices, tea and filtered water, time to relax and explore nearby beaches, meals and lodging.
- If you practice yoga regularly and want a more complete tour, try a 7-day yoga retreat in Rishikesh. It usually includes 2 daily yoga classes, group workshops, 4 different styles of yoga (Hatha, Vinyasa, rocket and Ashtanga), 2 daily meditation sessions, free time to explore the city, 3 organic meals per day, lodging and availability for different levels of expertise (beginners, intermediate, advanced).
- If you are an adventure and want a full experience, try the 62 days of culture, meditation and yoga vacations in India. You’ll become an experience yogui with 3 classes per day, daily meditation sessions, visits to historic sites, meals, transportation to and from the airport, lodging and tours to 15 cities in India.
We recommend purchasing your tour with yoga experts.
How much does a Yoga Tour Cost in India?
Choosing a yoga tour is an adventure in itself. You can find them as cheap as 35 dollars or as expensive as 19,066 USD.
The World’s Yoga Capital
If you want to travel to find your own yoga style, visit Rishikesh, the world’s capital of yoga. That’s where The Beatles went to “open their eyes”. Also, you can visit the city of Pune, where the yoga institutes Osho International Meditation Resort and Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute originated. Also, you can go to Dharamsala, home to the Dalai Lama. Or if you want to get away from busy cities, go to the beaches of Goa or Kerala, a tropical paradise for nature lovers. Finally, if you love to visit cities that have been used as film sets, go to Pondicherry, where they filmed Life of Pi. It’s also famous for its International Yoga Festival, which offers 7 days of free yoga classes in the city’s main squares.
Choose the yoga style that adapts to you and learn to listen to your body.