Traveling and Writing
By Ana Torres |
Create the perfect travel journal by following these tips and keep your best memories forever.
HOW TO MAKE A TRAVEL JOURNAL
A journal is an ideal tool to keep your travel memories in an intimate and personal way. Through writing you exercise reflection, imagination and memory. At DINKtravelers we love this magnificent resource that allows travelers to immortalize their experiences and return to them whenever they need new inspiration for planning a new journey.
Which are the things you should take into account when creating a travel journal? Here is some advice you should consider.
RECOMMENDATIONS TO CREATE THE PERFECT TRAVEL JOURNAL
- A unique travel companion: The best way not to lose your travel journal is by choosing a user-friendly and portable format; apart from naming the notebook and customizing it with the colors and images you like the most.
- Your travel route: Before you start writing you should decide the order in which you’ll write your entries. You can make a daily or weekly report of your vacation adventures or, for example, if you make a tour in Europe, you can dedicate one chapter to each country you visit. It’s also a good idea to divide your text in different sections that may cover topicslike gastronomy, museums, shopping, adventure, new friends, and much more. What’s important is that your journal becomes your trusted friend and that once you go back home you can recall your experiences and discoveries whenever you read it.
- Re-visiting your destination: A smart tip to nurture all your memories, including geographical and cultural information, is to add a map where you mark the places you visited. We recommend creating symbols that define why you decided to visit each place and grade your experience there. Also, it’s wise to include historic and touristic information about each site, so that your journal becomes the perfect guide to help other travelers who are eager to discover new destinations. Include the “must-see” attractions, information about costs, transportation and food.
- An artistic journal: The perfect way to remember is by watching images. That’s why your journal should include a selection of pictures from every place you visited. Don’t limit yourself to explaining where you went or what you saw, use photography to preserve little details; this way, you won’t only remember the monuments but also the colors of the flowers that decorated the garden surrounding your hotel, the delicious aspect of the exotic food your tried on your first day, or the kind smile of that stranger who observed you while you marveled at the local artwork shops.
- What did you think about it?: If you travel with friends, your partner or your family, you can let them add a review to your journal that reflects their own experiences. If you wish so, you can leave a few blank pages where they can share their impressions on the journey. We’re sure that in the end, having other perspectives will enrich yours and will turn your journal into a shared story that, in that sense, is even richer.
- The last page: An interesting option to end your travel journal is to compare your initial expectations with your opinion at the end of the journey. We recommend writing this last reflection once you’ve come back home. Unpack, rest, organize your souvenirs and open your diary to review page by page before writing about the impressions the experience left on you as well as adding your expectations for other countries you might visit in the future.